Thursday, May 28, 2009

MY PILOT SNAIL FARM

From: Mrs Nwanya,

Hello Mr. Abdulazeeze,

Sorry my credit finished while we were talking. You didn't tell me about 'moushing'; I actually started a pilot farm on January 19th on my balcony but they were not doing very well due to ants. I got up to 240 snails but I have lost close to 100 snails even after I moved them to site and built a pen; ocassionally I find dead snails. the juvinelles are also dying though I have not been able to provide a separate pen for them. The arrangement is in progress. My major problem is ants. I feed them with ugu leaves intially, when I introduced plantain and pawpaw; they started rejecting ugu. Presently they eat majorly pawpaw; maybe that explains the ants. There is never a left over.


Ismail,

Good day ma,

Moushing is using dry leaves like banana/plantain leaves to cover half-part of the snail pen to increase the humidity level of the snail pens.It also helps in maintaining original colour/beauty of the snails.
Make sure you wet your snail pens regularly,otherwise the snails will be drying out.Also provide artificial shade/tents for the snails.

When serving ripe pawpw, serve it in plastic trays otherwise it will attract ants to your snail pen.The supplementary feed should also be serve in plastic trays.

Do not let them be used to one particular food,always rotate the feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment